Artists who specialize in realism are very impressive. I have seen some jaw dropping, amazingly realistic, pet portraits. There are also some spectacular photos of animals taken by very talented fine art photographers. If you want, you can frame these very realistic- exact images of your animal friend and hang it on your walls. But maybe something a bit more impressionistic and artsy suits you!
5 reasons pet portraits should be artsy:
1) The style of the art contributes to the overall style of the room. Consider the decor and mood you want to create in your home.
2) Different styles of art can influence your mood. My artwork is happy. The colors pop and the textures are whimsical. Happy art can make your day.
3) Interesting art leads to interesting conversations. Have something to talk about with your house guests.
4) Stylized art can capture the spirit of your animal friend. It isn't about a realistic image of the animal, it is about the individual beauty shining through.
5) You love it! Hey, you don't need a profound reason- maybe you just really art and really love your animal- putting the two together makes sense.